Feature Articles Archives - LawNow Magazine

Building the New Jerusalem, One Clause at a Time

The Saskatchewan Bill of Rights, 1947, was landmark legislation that inaugurated a new era in Canadian law. The Bill, which contained a clear description of the rights and freedoms to be protected by the provincial government, anticipated the much better known document of the United Nations, which was declared a year after this bill of […]


Rob Normey
Rob Normey is a lawyer who has practised in Edmonton for many years and is a long-standing member of several human rights organizations.

The Legislative Process: How We Make Our Laws

Except when something particularly noteworthy occurs – such as the implementation of a radical new law or the defeat of a government over legislation it is trying to get passed – many Canadians are not aware of the details of our legislative process. In this article, I will sketch out an overview of the process […]


Charles Davison
Charles Davison is the Senior Criminal Defence Counsel with the Somba K’e office of the Legal Services Board in Yellowknife, NWT.

Moving Toward a New and Improved Senate

The following is the summary of a study completed by Paul G. Thomas on the Senate of Canada. The Senate of Canada has changed significantly as a result of the 2014 decision by Justin Trudeau, then leader of the Liberal party, to remove Liberal senators from the parliamentary caucus; and by his introduction, as prime […]


Paul G. Thomas
Paul G. Thomas is professor emeritus of political studies at the University of Manitoba.

How Are Environmental Laws Made?

Written environmental laws come in all different sizes and shapes. For example, the Canadian Environmental Protection Act, 1999 has 356 sections, six schedules and fifty-seven sets of regulations. Other environmental laws are only one page long. Big or small, they all have a few things in common. They must be put in place by a […]


Jeff Surtees
Jeff Surtees
Jeff Surtees B.Comm., JD, LLM is the Executive Director of the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta.

Judy Feng
Judy Feng
Judy Feng, BCom, JD, is a staff lawyer at the Centre for Public Legal Education Alberta. The views expressed do not necessarily reflect those of the Centre.

The Continuing Relevance of International Law in Canada

To some Canadians, international law may be perceived as an amorphous body of law with little, if any, direct impact on their day-to-day life. After all, international law was historically referred to as the “Law of Nations”: the laws which governed the conduct of sovereign states as actors on the international plane. What relevance could […]


Marjun Parcasio
Marjun Parcasio is an associate practicing in international arbitration and business and human rights at Hogan Lovells International LLP in London, England.

A Publication of CPLEA